Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Summery


Reason 267 for living in Manhattan? The likely possibility of free concerts being thrown at you. Not just concerts: private, industry-only, very intimate concerts, where you get to see some B-lister really upclose.
Last night, at Mansion, the venue that used to be Crobar and now, completely redone, wants to look like a Vegas hotspot. And it does indeed look like one of those clubs inside the, say, Palms, and the crowd on a saturday night is also comparable. I'm not using the term douchebag because it's way past expiration date but you know it, you know it.
Where was I? Ah, Last night. Donna Summer. Promoting the new album "Crayons."
Blah-blah-blah, first studio album in seventeen years, blah-blah, so nice to be back, waah-waah, you guys are making me cry.
Who gives a shit about Donna right? I mean, she was always a joke, even in her own mind. Sure, everybody nowadays is a diva, including Ashlee Simpson, but Donna really is the prototypical accidental diva. She was never meant to be.

So, for somebody who's been derided for their entire career she delivers an incredible performance.
Lady's got pipes. Such clarity. Amazing control. She also looks the same as ever. Well... in the face at least because from the neck down she big. It's funny how horsey-faced black chicks stay skinny in the face even when their body blows up. Same thing for those Sister Sledge bitches. I saw them recently on TV and I was "oh wow" so Kelly Rowland already knows what she's got coming.
But we were talking music. Music was cheesy obviously (hey, KTU was the sponsor) and it was a medley of usual suspects (MacArthur Park/Hot Stuff/Bad Girls) plus three songs from Crayons, which is a really odd album. So all over the place that it moves from radio-friendly to elevator bland to Macy Gray-weird to auto-tune Britney generic. So much that a couple of times I had to check my iTunes to make sure it was still the same album playing and I hadn't clicked the random shuffle button.
I was bummed that she didn't do no Stock Aitken and Waterman songs, but hardly shocked. However the opening intro was a little of a surprise and one of my faves: Love is in Control.
Nothing to argue about flawless professionalism. She looks/sounds in control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home